Wednesday, January 5, 2011

La nouvelle année

I am back.  I figured that I would not bore you with the details of my winter break.  After all the purpose of this blog is to document my time in Europe, not the US.  But I feel like I have to say a few things.

It wasn't nearly as weird as I thought it would be going home.  I didn't feel like I had left.   Everything was pretty much the same.  Aside from Mom's new tile in the hallway from the garage and some framed pictures at Dad's house it was just as I remembered it.  Charlie (my dog) was just as excited to see me.

It was so comfortable it actually did make coming back to Paris pretty hard.  I didn't really feel anything until I was on the plane but about hour three of the flight it felt like someone punched me in the gut.  I'm sure the only reason I felt like that is because I have my law final tomorrow at 11:15AM.  Once that is over, I will have finished the hardest thing I've ever done.  I will have survived a Law class taught in a foreign language and taught about foreign legal systems.  And I won't have failed (assuming I can get at least a 10/20 on my oral exam tomorrow).

After that exam is over, I'll be home free.  I have offically bought my tickets to go to Spain to visit my friend Amara.  I'll be there from Jan 11 to Jan 15.  Then my dad comes here and we are off to Munich, Salzburg, Vienna and Budapest from the 16th to the 24th.  Then on the 25th I fly back to the US to see my doctor about fitting me for a device that will relax my jaw muscles.  I cannot tell you how excited I am for that appointment.  He said within the first two months eighty to ninety percent of the pain should go away. Then it is just a matter of relaxing my jaw to where he can resent my bite and make me a normal human again!

So I have a lot to look forward to.  I just need to get through today and tomorrow until 11:30AM.  Then I'll really start to love this country (again).  Good news is that I landed at 8:30AM and I've made it till 7:30PM without really thinking about my final tomorrow.  Yes, it was due to the fact that I was asleep for seven hours, but still, I'll take anything to take my mind off it.

I've realized that I have a problem where anything that is a source of anxiety gets all of my attention.  So once that exam is done and over with then I won't have anything to worry about.  I will be living in France carefree until Feb 3.  Although I will only be spending two nights in Paris between the Jan 11 and the Feb 1.  But c'est la vie.  I came here to travel, and gosh darn it, I am going to travel!

Also, my new years resolution (although I think they are profoundly stupid) is to write five times a week, regardless of what is happening in my life.  I don't want to regret not documenting my time here better.

No comments:

Post a Comment