Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Je serai comfotable bientot

I'll be home relatively soon.  I have some great trips planned, including Florence, Ireland, Bordeaux, Barcelona and Greece/Croatia/Venice.  But I am ready to get back to Santa Barbara.

I think the feeling that I have when I think about wanting to be back in SB isn't guilt.  It's more shame.  I feel a little ashamed that I don't like living abroad more than I do.  I've seen first hand how people I am close to think of those who refuse to travel, experience new cultures, see new things.  I would hate for them to think that I am as close minded as they think those others are.  But it is really hard living here.

Living here has taught me how much I really appreciate and am fascinated by the United States.  It also has taught me that the stereotype about Americans being very closed minded isn't fair.  I have always been open and interested in learning about where my friends come from.  And believe me, they love talking about their home countries and not only how great they are but how much better they are than the United States (especially the Canadians).  Honestly, I didn't know we were in a competition.  I mean, studying Globalization yeah I know about international rivalries and stuff, but that is for companies and governments, not for students.  My view is that we are supposed to come over here and not only learn about the culture we are trying to live in, but learn things from those around us.

I know a lot more about Australian politics than I ever thought I would because of the conversations I've had with my friends.  I know how the court systems of Canada work thanks to the conversations I've had with my roommate.  I've really learned a lot.  But I am so sick and tired of people always talking crap about the United States.  Even if that is how they feel, I don't think they realize how incredibly rude it is to insult something that someone may care strongly about.

I finally understand why my dad says my step mom can get so offended if I complain about the weather in Houston, and I am only mentioning the weather!  People here talk about Americans, as in the actual people.  They talk crap about our government, about the decisions our politicians have made, about our electoral process.  I can only say I disagree with Bush too many times before I start to get annoyed that they thought I agreed with him in the first place.

I do not think the United States is perfect.  But I don't think that it is fair for those who have never lived there or really even traveled there to judge it as harshly as a lot of people here do.  I am proud to be an American and I always will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment