Sunday, December 5, 2010

J'aime Chanter

So I didn't blog about it because I wasn't sure if it was going to happen, but yesterday I sang at le jour de dedicace at SciencesPo.  Don't ask me what it was, because honestly I couldn't tell you.  All I know is that they asked me to sing a song and sing two other songs with two girls.  I obviously wasn't going to say no.

So we sand yesterday at the cocktail reception after the day was over. The authors who were at the event during the day signing their books were invited up stairs for french hors d'oeuvres and cocktails while they had some musical talent.  Turns out I and two other singers as well as two piano players were that talent.  Now I don't want to make it sound like we were featured, because we REALLY were not.

The event started at 6:00PM and we got there about fifteen minutes early.  We sang through the two songs the three of us were going to sing together.  One of them, Les feuilles mortes was a song I hadn't heard before.  But that didn't stop us from singing it... After listening to it about three times it was showtime.  The other song, Hymne a l'amour by Edith Piaf was a classic so I had heard that one before.  The song I sang solo is called Le Complimente de la Butte was featured in the movie Moulin Rouge.  I had heard it before and really liked it.

But at the actual reception, it was kind of pointless for us to be there.  There were probably a hundred and fifty people plus in the room all talking.  The piano was only so loud, and we had no microphone.  So no one really heard us sing.  It was still fun though.  I got to go to a real french cocktail party!  Unfortunately for us, the hors d'oeuvres were gone by the time we finished singing, but they had some champagne for my friends (and coke for me).

All in all it was a good experience.  I'm looking forward to our choir concert this Friday too!

No comments:

Post a Comment