Saturday, September 4, 2010

C'est vrai. Paris, je t'aime

I have spent a lot of time writing about what I have been doing here, but I haven't really talked about this city.  I have been here a week and I have already gotten comfortable taking public transportation, buying groceries, and just pretty much living in the city.  It is the first time I have lived in a big city, so it was a bit strange.  Well, I guess UCDC helped me prepare for this.  But still...

Anyway, here are some things I have noticed in my first week here.


  1. No one is fat.  Seriously, like no  one!  It is a little strange actually.  All of the men are stick thin, or if not, they don't weigh more than I do.  
  2. Everyone dress incredibly well here.  You can walk down the street and see men in suits and women in extremely nice clothes.  Even the students wear collard shirts every day.  
  3. I haven't heard English.  Everyone says that it is easy to not speak French in Paris, but I haven't found that so.  It may be that my French is better than it was before, but everyone talks to me in French here.
  4. Screw apartment hunting.  It is by far the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.  I think I need to go through an agency.  
  5. The metro is super clean!  It puts DC's metro to shame.  Also, the doors don't open automatically.  You actually have to lift the lever if you want to exit at your station.  Some buses are like that too (I learned that the hard way).
  6. People don't smile here.  I have always been taught to smile at people on the street, but people do NOT do that here.  It seems a little cold at first, but Professor Newfield, the UC Director in France says it is actually a sign of respect.  The Parisian way of life is a very private one, and by not smiling at you, they are actually saying, "Hey, I see that you are your own person.  I will not invade your personal space."
  7. Do not and Walk Signals are merely suggestions.  Everyone J-walks, but you do it at your own risk.
  8. Velo's are out to kill you.  They will ride on the sidewalk, they will ride against traffic, they will KILL you.  Actually a lady got hit by one (she was ok) just out in front of the UC center the night of my orientation. 
That is all I can think of for now.  I'm sure I will have more though!

No comments:

Post a Comment