Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Quelque chose que je veux dire

It's time again for A.J.'s insight into the French and their culture.

Things they really like here:


  1. Smoking - seriously, everyone here smokes.  It is really too bad because its SUPER expensive.  And you can no longer smoke indoors (thank you French government!)
  2. Walking - I have probably walked an average of 4 miles a day since I've been here.  My 35 jeans are loose on me now!
  3. Cheese - dear lord how they love their cheese.  I have actually grown accustomed to having it at dinner.  I actually really like it.
  4. Dressing really well - I know I've said it before but they French here dress SUPER nicely.  Here is a perfect example.  There was a man, probably around eighty, I saw today.  He had one a navy blue double breasted cardigan sweater with brass buttons.  He had a shirt and a tie, slacks and two-toned brown leather shoes on as well.  People just don't go out walking like that back in the states. Looks like I need to go shopping! 
  5. Holding the shower heard while you bathe - from what I have gathered (and this was the same in Nice) the French do not like to have a stationary shower head.  They all have the kinds where you hold it while you bathe.  You also don't get the luxury of a shower curtain.  
  6. Not having a dryer - most places have washing machines, but NO ONE has a dryer.  I decided I was going to go do my own laundry today.  I spent probably close to 50 euros doing it.  I'm gonna rethink doing my laundry there again.  (I have a funny story about that though, which I'll probably write tomorrow if I can remeber).
  7. Not wearing deoderant - I hate to play into sterotypes, but they exist for a reason...  Just ride the metro at the height of rush hour and you'll see what I'm talking about.
  8. Wifi - it is everywhere here.  It isn't super fast, but even McDonalds has it!  Btw, McDonalds here are super nice.  They have bendie straws!
  9. Baked goods - pain au chocolat = greatest thing ever
  10. Public transportation - the buses and metros here are really fantastic.  And they are always on time and go pretty much anywhere you need them to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment