Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Je ne peux pas manger

I know a lot of my posts are bout food, but let's face it.  I'm in Paris, the land of love and food.  If you don't believe me, watch Ratatouille (which my host mother has made a few times since I've been here!).

Anyway, I have found that meals are very central to home life here.  They generally last a long time.  But, for ANYONE who has ever seen me eat, they know that I am a very messy eater.  I feel so self conscious of it because everyone else's place is so neat.  Then there is mine...

I manage to get at least one drop of what ever I am eating on the table cloth.  Also, we use paper napkins, you know the two ply kind?  Yeah, well unbeknownst to me, my hands can never seem to leave those two plies together.  Every time I finish I meal, I put my napkin (or whats left of it) on my plate and carry it into the kitchen.  I try to throw it away before anyone can judge me.  One night I was too embarrassed to take it into the kitchen so I threw it away in my room....

But the food here is amazing.  This is generally how the meal goes.

Small appetizer
Salad
Main Dish
Cheese
Dessert

It is truly a heaven.  I have also learned the difference between gourmand and gourmet.  I used to eat because I liked the sensation of food, but in my ten days here, I can already tell I have learned to appreciate not only the sensation but the taste.  I eat smaller portions, but I savour them.

And yes, you can really taste the goat...

1 comment: