Saturday, September 18, 2010

J'ai fini une semaine

I am officially done with my first week of classes.  And dear lord, am I going to be in for a rough ride.  I'm not saying UCSB is easy at all, but I just don't feel like it is hard.  Here, even in my english classes, I know I have to work.  And I mean REALLY work.  

Luckily, I don't have any final exams.  There are two types of courses here at SciencesPo.  There are "les cours magistraux" and "les conferences de méthode."  The cours magistraux are the larger lecture type classes.  They are the ones that have final exams.  The conf classes are smaller, a lot like discussion type sections back in the states.  They don't have any finals (as far as I can tell).  

Anyway, I am in two Cours Magistraux: "Introductions aux grands systèms du droit étranger" (Introdution to foreign legal systems) and "Social History of the US."  And assuming I understood correctly, in my law class we have to write a paper and then we present it and defend it infront of a jury of three people.  In my US History class we are just writing a final paper.  

So if that is the case, and I don't have any finals, then I am going to be on break from Dec. 18 to Jan. 24.  God, I hope that is the case.  Becuase that would let me spend a week in CO, a week in TX, and hopefully some time back in SB before coming to Pairs and then hopefully going to the Canary Islands and Morocco.  

On that note, I met up with my friends and we planned some trips!  We are going to head to Nice for Halloween because we have a long weekend and there is nothing to do in Paris then apparently.  We are also going to go to Berlin in November.  If Nick gets enough time off, then he is going to come out here over Thanksgiving and we would go to Amsterdam.  Same with Jenn if her Congressman doesn't get reelected.  

I never really thought how much I would want my family to come over here until I realized I wouldn't see them until December.  I mean back home it is a little different.  Sure, they don't make it to SB too often, but I know its a lot easier for me to see them than it is here.  So, I really hope they get the time off to come over here!

On a completely unrelated note, I really like old French people, but more on that in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment