Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Le ouch!

So for everyone who doesn't know I have TMJ, or Temporal Mandibular Jaw Syndrome.  It basically means that the joint connecting my jaw to my skull gets inflamed.  Last night I was in a lot of pain before I went to bed so I took one of the muscle relaxers my doctor prescribed me back at SB. This morning, I wake up and I can't open my jaw.  That is normal when I am lying down.  So I sit up and I still can't open my jaw.  That isn't normal...

So I massage my jaw and it is a little better.  If I kind of push it off to the side I can open it all the way.  Oh, side note, since my first class today is at 2:45 I slept in until 12 so it was lunch time.  After my shower, I run downstairs and go grab a crepe.  It's a paper thin pancake.  How hard can it be to chew?  Apparently really hard.  But this crepe was so delicious!  It had grilled onions, probably five pounds of Gruyere cheese and two slices of ham.  Then he added SALT!  The reason I get so excited about him adding salt is that NO ONE in this country uses salt.  I know it is a lot healthier, but the foods just don't taste as good without it!

I think I'm going to have to just write a post about the food here.  My host mother has made me something different every night.  She has yet to repeat a meal.  It's fantastic.

On another unrelated note, I have found that the UC people in Paris are actually really nice and helpful, unlike those folks back in America.  I know they have to deal with every UC student abroad, but even the country specific person at SB couldn't help me.  BUT, Professor Chris Newfield (a UCSB English prof when he isn't the UC Director of all three France programs) and Shelby Ocana have been nothing but helpful.  Shelby responds to my e-mails in a matter of minutes and Prof. Newfield holds virtual office hours on Skype.

Prof Newfield said he wanted to have us all over for drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment