Sunday, September 5, 2010

J'aime ma famille (Ici et la-bas)

I totally lucked out with my host family here.  I think I've written about them, and I have posted a picture of Michele, my host mother.  But tonight's dinner really made me realize how much I lucked out.

For what ever reason, I always get anxious when I have to go to dinner here.  It might be because I may not completely understand what they are saying to me, or that I may not like the food Michele cooks for me, but always I dread going to dinner.  Tonight was no different.

Today we had a big get together for SciencesPo at a park in Paris.  We are all assigned buddies (French students) and today was the day that we were supposed to meet them.  Just my luck, my buddy isn't there...  But I still had a good time.  I made friends with Max, a masters student from Germany.  And I met up with a few of my friends from my language class.  We were all going to go out and get a drink, but I had to be home at 7:30 for dinner.  We ended at 6:45.

Greaaaaaaaaat..... I have to go to dinner.  As it turns out, Michele has her sister and cousin staying here for the night.  Even more people I don't know who speak a language I am having trouble understanding.

So when I get home they aren't here.  They had gone sight seeing around Paris.  When they come back, Michele knocks on my door and asks if I like Octopus.  She says if not I could eat some beef instead.  What do you think I said?  (I did try some Octopus though)

We all gather at the table.  It is a small table so our two guests, Michele, Georgina and Jerome and my self are quite snug.  Turns out, this was the best dinner I've had here (not food wise though...). The six of us talked about everything, from me naming all of the States in alphabetical order to Romanians not being able to get a job in France to Cheese.  It was so interesting!  We were sitting at the table for over 3 hours!  Most of that time wasn't done eating, but me listening to this beautiful language.

Also, I have become friends with Georgina and Jerome.  He is Michele's son and she is his wife.  They are a little bit older than myself, but amazingly nice.  I think we are going to go to an Amusement park next Monday, assuming I can drop one of the classes I want to.

I actually have French friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment