Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mon dernier dîner

Tonight I had my last home cooked meal from Michele Bonhomme.  Tomorrow I am going out with my friends and Friday she is going out.  And I am out of here on Saturday.

I don't think it is possible to express in words how amazing Michele and her family have been to me.  They welcomed me in with open arms from day one.  I first got in contact with her about a week before I left the US and she was nice then.  When I got here, she met me down at the door to her stairs.  She helped me with my bags up to my room.

And my room!  What a room!  It is probably 17sq meters (for you Americans, that is 183sq feet).  This room is bigger than apartments I have visited.  And it has a view of the Panthéon from my window, not to mention my own private entrance.

I know I've talked a lot about the food, but here is just a short list of what Michele has made for me: escargots (twice), duck, beef cheeks, potatoes au gratin, lamb, beef, ham, a lot of purées of veggies (usually carrots and potatoes), eggplant, and a lot of food she explained to me but I didn't know what it was....  And her desserts!  Oh my god.  She was trying to loose some weight, so most of the time when she made a dessert and it was just us eating, I was the only one eating the dessert.  And I'm talking home made tarts with home grown fruit filling, chocolate cake with coffee creme filling, and from time to time Georgiana would cook.  She is FANTASTIC.  She made a chocolate cake with chocolate icing.  I don't think I've ever tasted something that good in a restaurant.

I am really going to miss this part of Paris.  The 5th arrondissement is probably the best.  I literally walk by where Des Cartes, Hemmingway and Joyce all lived when they were in Paris.  I am three minutes from a metro, about five from an ancient roman arena (Les Arenes de Lutece), and fifteen minutes (if you are like me and walk slowly) from Notre Dame.  I could look at that church all day and not get tired of it.

How many host families take their tenant out, show them how to use the metro, and take them up the Eiffel Tower all on the first day?

No comments:

Post a Comment